Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Mojaco

Yesterday I went to another Mojaco show. For those who don't know, Mojaco is a band that I have befriended here in Tokyo. I try to go to their shows because it's always fun, I like their music and it gives me a deep look into Japanese culture. If you haven't seen my mini documentary on them, I recommend you do.

Anyway, this show was in Shibuya. I thought I'd try out my camera and take a picture of one of the most photographed areas in Tokyo.

Not a bad picture for barely trying. Too bad I can't hold the camera right.

I've been to this club before and it's a cool place, but for some reason I had a hard time finding it. When I did, there was a guy playing solo on guitar.

He wasn't that good, but he was having fun.

After that, this duo of a girl on drums and a guy guitarist came up. This is the second girl on drums/guy guitarist duo I've seen in Japan (White Stripes style), and they were pretty good.

They didn't blow me away like Highered-Girl did, but they were good.

And then Mojaco went on.

I've seen them quite a few times, and I think for this one, the crowd was one of the largest (behind me. This picture makes it look deceivingly empty) and probably their best show that I've seen so far.

Action shot:

I feel the need to mention again that I really like this camera.

Akiba had a pretty rock star moment at this show. He even swung from something hanging above him. I didn't get a shot of that.

Generally passive Akane was rocking that bass too.


And Musashi as always was shining brightly.

Somebody smacked into my camera mid show, but it didn't seem to have any affect. It did stop me from taking more pictures, which is fine.

After they went on, Musashi told me she was nervous before and now she was ready to party.

The band after them was this kind of Ramones meets heavy rock kind of deal. The drummer was singing most of the time. They were also pretty good.

I accidentally took an awesome shot where I was zooming in and taking the picture.

After them, an unusual band went up. The drummer was really boisterous, aggressive, and really hairy. He'd often get up and start shouting and doing all sorts of crazy things. They were a bit lacking on songs and shy a little on talent, but they really made up for that with stage presence.

After the show, Mojaco, some friends, and I went to an Izakaya. It was a particularly nice one, and one I'd be happy to go back to again. There was a lot of food that was outside my comfort zone, something that doesn't happen that much these days. I had sea urchin and pickled squid guts for the first time. I didn't hate either, in fact sea urchin was kind of creamy and nice, but a tad overwhelming. One thing that looked creepy but was amazing was raw young tuna backbone.

You took those shells, scraped meat off the back and ate it. If you've ever had tuna sushi or sashimi, the flavor is quite similar, but better. That meal set me back a bit, but it was worth it.

Yet again, I had another great Mojaco experience. I'm not sure if it was luck or just trying something new, but I feel honored to enjoy the company of such fine and interesting individuals.

No comments: