Saturday, February 2, 2008

Health update.

I'd like to write about all the exciting things I've been doing, but since January 15th, I've really done nothing. I've gone to school sometimes and spend a lot of time lying in bed.

It's not all grim because I am feeling a lot better. On Tuesday, I went to the doctor for a second time. It turns out I've got a bronchial infection, which essentially means my lungs are infected. This often times follows a flu and explains why I'm feeling the way I do.

Any amount of exercise leaves me feeling really tired really quickly. This wouldn't be too much of a problem, but it means things like running for the train are out of the question. Walking slowly to my train station isn't a big deal, though. It's just more time consuming.

I have a bit of a cough, but it's not so bad. It's a lot better than it used to be, which is good. The real problem is my voice.

I lost my voice sometime almost 2 weeks ago and it's still not back. I can make some crazy grunting sounds that are close to words with a little bit of pain. I can also whisper just fine, but having a conversation in whispers is really hard unless it's absolutely silent. Even so, my lack of ability to communicate on my own terms has been very depressing to say the least.

I have to give a lot of credit to my friends/former dorm mates. Yesterday, they had me join in a normal conversation, taking the time and patience to understand my whispers. It really improved my spirit.

Other than that, I'm feeling a lot more energetic and a lot more 'normal'. Besides the talking thing, I feel pretty decent these days.

Well, that's all I have to say now. Sorry for not having anything fun to write about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you're feeling better. I got a throat infection that knocked me on my ass for a week. Brett's talking again, and I didn't lose my voice so much. I still have a bit of a cough, but the worst part is all the tae kwon do makeup I had to do. Now I have a cough and my body is entirely sore. Yay! Well take it easy. Good luck with the larynx.

Keith said...

Wow. That sucks. We all got sick at the same time in different parts of the world.

The whole "losing your voice" thing sucks. As it stands now, I talk like a 40 year old chain smoker. It's better than my 70 year old chain smoker that I was doing earlier in the week. Hopefully soon, I'll talk like a man in his 20's who doesn't smoke.

But other than the terrible voice thing, I feel fine. A bit weak, but fine.