Friday, October 17, 2008

Professional work.

For those who don't know (which is probably most of you), I'm an intern at Japan Times right now. I mention this because partially that's a reason why my posts have slowed down, but mainly because I finally did some work for them that I want to show off.

I have various tasks around the office, but my most exciting one has been going to cover the launch of a car. I did all the video work, and in less than 30 hours after posting, it's got over 2000 views!



The conditions for shooting and editing were a bit rough, as I didn't exactly have a pro-level camera or a tripod, and all the editing was done in less than an hour using iMovie. The camera did a decent job, but colors were a bit odd but not having a tripod and being really far away made it tough, but I think it came out decent. Editing with iMovie was killing me, though. After using Final Cut Pro and going to iMovie is like going from driving a car to a go-kart that's on a track, has a broken tire, and pulls to the right. If I knew nothing about video editing, iMovie would have been fun and easy, but since I DO know some stuff, the limitations were killing me.

Anyways, considering the limitations and the amount of time I spent on it, I was fairly happy with the result.

If you're interested in the background behind the video, the article is here. I felt a bit silly with a hand held camera while everyone else had pro gear and was from top news agencies, but besides that the event was a lot of fun and I hope to do more things like it!

No comments: