Monday, September 17, 2007

Shibuya with a friend.

On Friday, I was at school and I saw this out the window:

If I am correct (and if I'm not, let me know) but this is a little portable shrine. When there is a festival, people carry it around the town to spread the good look and wishes for prosperity. I've seen these before, and quite a few this weekend, but it was interesting to see them setting one up.


It was Friday night, I was just sitting around the dorms, it was a 3 day weekend, I wanted to do SOMETHING fun.

I asked around and a girl that I had talked to a few times but didn't know that well said she'd join me.

Well, out of lack of knowledge on what to do, I said we should go to Shibuya. I went to Shibuya my first Friday here, 4 weeks ago. Crap, has it been that long? It seems like it was just a few days ago. Anyways, I was soaking in the newness of my town and randomly wandering the streets and that's all I saw.

We went to this really cool punk bar. I can't say it was the most punk place I'd ever been. They were playing the Cure. But, it was an enjoyable place nonetheless. I didn't take any pictures, which I regret, but I know where it is, and if I find someone who's interested in going, I'd go back. It had a nice vibe.

After this, we did some wandering. We saw lots of lights, lots of people, and it was great. I was just enjoying myself and not exactly picture crazy, so I don't have much to show you, but I did see this:

When I was in Osaka, I saw a Christon Cafe, and I thought it was really funny. It's an Izakaya with a Christian theme to it. The one in Osaka was a lot bigger, but this one was interesting too. I didn't see any paintings of the Virgin Mary above the bar, but I didn't go in either.

After wandering into the red light district, we turned around and left where I saw this:

Pac-Man? Are you now the spokesperson for Shibuya's red light district? Snazzy bow tie, Sir!

After this, we both went to an Izakaya that was really fancy and great. The grilled beef dish we had was top notch (except the terrible appetizer), but I was particularly blown away by the really good (and surprisingly cheap) fondue they had. I have been craving a good cheese dish, and that's where I found it.

I also got the fruitiest cocktail I've seen in a really long time.

I'm sure I looked ridiculous drinking it, but it was god damned amazing. It tasted so good all the way down, and I was really happy I got it.

The funny thing about this place is in order to get to it, you have to go into an arcade then take an elevator up to the 7th floor. I've seen quite a few places were each floor is a different restaurant/bar/izakaya, but this was the fist time I saw one where I had to go inside a completely unrelated and drastically different business to get to it.

After this, I came back to the dorm and talked to some people until early into the morning. I had a great time with conversation and I got a lot off my chest about my fellow dorm mates. It was a very cathartic experience getting all that out in the open.

While I may have not seen the most exciting things, I got to talk to someone who is now a good friend and I had an all around lovely evening.

No comments: